Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My First Wedding Nightmare!!!!

Yes, those are exclamation marks up there and yes, they are expressing excitement. 

I'm a vivid and strange dreamer to begin with: I often realize when I'm dreaming, I can force myself to wake up from dreams, I can often return to a dream after I've awakened from it; I can always recall almost all of the details, I occasionally have random, mundane dreams that 'come true' in real life (no - for real. MOH Mem can attest to this), I have recurring dreams and after Inception, I started 'playing' with my dreams and trying to change them. 

source | Not quite on this level. . .yet. . .

So when I first read or heard about Wedding Nightmares, I knew I'd have quite a few. Par for the course with an overthinker like myself, really - and I was right. I had my first wedding nightmare about 8 months out from our wedding.


I awakened in the morning and started my daily routine, unable to shake the 'this feels odd' feeling that tends to accompany my odder dreams, usually the bad ones. I was putting my makeup on when it hit me: I was having a Wedding Nightmare before my alarm went off. . .when I started to remember the details, I smiled. I was having a Wedding Nightmare before my alarm went off - my first one! Certainly a momentous occasion.

One of my co-workers was getting married around the time that the nightmare occurred. We were discussing random bits and pieces of her remaining To-Do list and how she's, understandably, stressed at work. Another co-worker half-jokingly told me to elope and so we began discussing my OCD, Type-A planning. My Wedding Nightmare was about The Big Day itself; I believe that's because my true fear is that if - and, let's be real, when - shit goes down on the day of, it will be completely out of my control (truth be told, a lot of my anxiety-ridden 'bad dreams' have to do with a loss of control. I know, call in Freud on that one).

The dream was of the pretty typical show-up-to-school-and-realize-you-have-a-test-that-you-didn't-study-for-and-then-your-pencil-breaks variety.

source | "IT'S JUST A TEST!"
I was in the process of getting ready and I noticed guests starting to arrive. It was 8:30 in the morning. Somehow, the ceremony start time was changed to 11:00am and it was perfectly sensible in dream world for guests to arrive at 2.5 hours ahead of time. My hair was just hanging from my head with a stray roller or two and I was in my bra and slip, but I took deep breaths and told myself it would be fine. . .if only my Flower Girls would arrive. Lo and behold, in walked Pad and Pie, but their hair was soaking wet and they didn't have on their Tiny TOMS. I told myself it would be alright, it's not a big deal, as I grabbed their hands to take them to where the hairstylist was - and by 'was' I mean 'wasn't', because I realized I never paid them when I booked them so obviously they weren't coming. Again, I started to panic, and I looked over to see BM Tiny Dancer doing her own hair and makeup. I told myself that this would just have to do, even as panic creeped over me because part of their gift was their hair and makeup. Next thing I knew, I was at a gas station with Jon and remembered that I hadn't seen GM or BM Y all day. Jon pointed out that they likely didn't know about the ceremony change, so I texted them about it. At this point it was 10:30 and BM Y's response text said that they were still in bed. I caught a glimpse of myself in the gas station window, bra-and-slip clad, hair a mess, no makeup and started crying. "I don't want to get married today! I just don't!" We went back to the venue and I saw empty chairs because people had started to leave due to the fact that it was well past 11 and I started to cry about that, too.

Thinking about all of this stuff now gives me twinges of anxiety, even though I know it's a dream. I like that Dream Me was telling herself that it would be okay, I like that she was trying to roll with the punches and adjust accordingly. Do I think Real Life Me would act so gracefully if even a semblance of this bojank presented itself on the Real Big Day? Not so much. But I like that my subconscious is trying to say, hey, shit happens. Deal with it. It's a nice gesture.

Any other Brides-to-Be have wedding nightmares? Are you more afraid of shit falling apart in the weeks leading up to the wedding or the Wedding Day itself? Anyone else EXCITED about their first wedding nightmare?

2 comments:

  1. I can't say it's necessarily a good thing that I've already had multiple wedding nightmares when we're still over a year and a half out from the wedding, but I'll just blame booking things/making moves for that. :)

    So far the nightmares have been - everything being wrong (wrong space, wrong dress, no shoes, people missing), but I still got married and it was fine; being with my fiance before the ceremony and dying on our way into the ceremony venue... morbid, much? Obviously I know it's just the stress of things weighing on my mind and not that I'm actually concerned with these things happening, but it doesn't mean that it's not strange to dream about (especially the dying part)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I'm all about wedding nightmares. The more, the merrier. Death = no bueno, though.

      Delete