Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, January 30, 2012

Flower Power! Introducing our flower girls.

In January of 2010 (whoa), I started babysitting two absolutely terrific, fabulous girls. 

In keeping with the theme of giving everyone nicknames (even though I’ll be posting pictures throughout this blog, so it’s totally more for fun than identity-saving. . .whatevs), I shall refer to them as Pad (the oldest, currently 6 - 7 this summer, which makes me want to vomit) and Pie (the youngest; now FIVE. Freaking five). These are pretty close to their actual nicknames, and I would put money down on a bet stating that should their mom choose to read this to them, they will be furious that I didn’t give them ‘prettier’ names or use their real names.

Their mom and I consistently talk about this (in hour-plus long conversations at the dining room table long after the girlies are asleep), but I’m a firm believer that we are a part of each other’s lives for a reason. First and foremost, we found each other on Craigs List. I know, I know, you're thinking: REALLY? Childcare on CRAIGSLIST?!  But it worked. I needed a job that wasn't too demanding but would put money in my pocket as I was interning at a local TV station and she needed a trustworthy, dependable adult who wasn't afraid to be a kid with her wonderful but slightly off-the-wall kids. I arrived for an interview that we didn't call an interview and fell in love. I fell in love with their house, their stinkypants dog Bodhi, with the girls, with all of it. It started off as an every Thursday event, while Mom PadPie (Lol) ran errands, went to meetings, whatever. It stemmed into other nights, as needed, and these girls - and Mom - wormed their way right the f into my heart. I'm getting ridiculously teary-eyed as I even type this, thinking about the first time Pie brought me over a piece of paper on which she had painstakingly written 'I love you Stephanie,' and the first time Pad cried when I was leaving. Granted, since then there's been a lot of 'YOU DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT ME!'s, tantrums and time outs, but I figure that's how you know you've made it into a kid's life - when they don't mind standing in the middle of the hallway naked screaming at you. 

It was right around the end of December 2010 when Mom PadPie and I were discussing the various changes in our lives. She was starting a different job, but she needed a nanny-level babysitter due to the hours. She was half-joking when she said to me, "I keep thinking, 'we don't want anyone new! We want Stephanie!'" I pulled out my planner and said, "let's see what we can do here." VOILA! I was now spending two-three evenings a week in addition to all day Friday with these beautiful girlies. Bonus: I got to do my laundry while babysitting, since Mom had a washer and dryer. SCORE.

Honestly? It was one of the best periods of my life. I LOVED spending so much time with Pie and Pad. They would make me laugh to the point of tears (like when Pie had a number two accident in her princess dress, and Pad said 'OH SHIT!'), they would cause my heart to explode into a million pieces (Pie tells me "I love you until the moon dies," constantly, but especially when I tuck her in at night); they would make me so proud of them and happy that I was a part of their life (Pie once explained to me that boys can marry boys and girls can marry girls, "it's all okay as long as they love each other!"), they would absolutely befuddle me (Pad started beating me at Connect 4 at age 5 - with me ACTIVELY trying to win) - and I got to experience this amazingness multiple times a week. These girls provided me with such happiness and joy. . .and simultaneously played a part in fufilling my life-long dream of being a member of the Baby Sitter's Club.

Needless to say, there was no doubt in Jon's or my mind who would be our flower girls. First of all, Pad is the most fearless little girl I know. She sang Annie on stage as a Kindergartner in a talent show. She's also a spotlight lover, so I knew she would be thrilled at the idea of getting completely dolled up and walking/skipping/prancing down the aisle, throwing flower petals. Second of all, Pie is one of the most hilarious human beings I have ever met in my entire life. I guarantee that she will do something fabulous and very her, like try to sprinkle flower petals on her or her sister's head - and then Pad will get angry about it, BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO GO, but then she'll see that Pie is getting giggles and then SHE'LL start doing 'it', too. . .and then it will be a tumble of cuteness. I'm calling it now. I digress. Bottom line, I just knew that Our Special Day would not be as special or complete without them.

The point of this post, I guess, is just to honor the wonderfulness of Pad and Pie. They are two of the most special people in my life and I cannot imagine a wedding without them. Jon and I were having a discussion about our wedding, specifically about the people in it and Rev Fun officiating, he said to me: "Our wedding is going to be so meaningful. Rev Fun officiating us and Pad and Pie being the flower girls. . .it's going to be really full of love." (I know, sometimes he catches me off guard with the wonderful comments, too). 


personal photo | Pie on the left, Pad on the right - Halloween this year.

photo courtesy of MoH Mem | Pie and Pad with their 3D glasses and flower headbands!
Aren't they just the most adorable creatures in the world? 

Are you having flower girls and/or a ringbearer? Did you opt to not have either?

5 comments:

  1. Aww they are so cute! They will be beautiful flower girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved our flower girl applique mission. They're so cute, and I'm so glad we were able to find them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea on t-shirts for them! I had a flower girl t-shirt when I was flower girl for my aunt's wedding, and I absolutely loved it. I was so sad when I outgrew it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely the squealy types of little girls who would get the BIGGEST kick out of having something state their purpose so proudly, so it was perfect. I'm glad you were so attached to yours - further solidifies my decision.

      Delete