Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Go Big or Go Home: Setting up the EPic Hair Trial

See what I did with that title? ;) I’ve already expressed my general distaste for and inability to do all things DIY. One is not likely to find a bigger Fail Whale than the aftermath of my glue gun and I spending some QT together. 

So why did I decide to do my own hair and makeup for our engagement pictures? Because I’m stubborn. And cheap. 

I originally reached out to the artist (is that the technical term?) doing hair and makeup for my girls and myself on our Wedding Day and it simply cost too much to justify. Her work is gorgeous, without a doubt, and I’m super excited to have her. . .but I just couldn’t do it for our engagement pictures. 

I had a vision of my hair in our engagement pictures. It was something kind of like this: 



 Sources, from Top Left: Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood, Julianne Hough, Faith Hill, Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood.| Sensing a pattern?

Yup, friends, you caught me: I love big ass country singer hair. In fact, those were the words I said to BMs Y and Blackout recently. “I want to look like a country singer.” Unfortunately for me, my hair doesn’t really hear the words that come out of my mouth.

Forget about curl - it doesn’t really do much of anything except lay there. I had to get a “body wave” during high school just to have a reasonable prom ‘do; I have had every “volumizing” hair cut in the world; I have tried every product and the best I can get with t-o-n-s of effort is a little bit of lift at my roots. 
personal photo | This picture of BM Y and I is ridiculous but I wanted to show you the 'height' my hair gets with the aid of a Bump-It. For real, so much hairspray and teasing went on JUST to get this.

personal photo | BM Y, myself and BM Blackout. This is my normal hair. See what I mean? It's just chillin'.
I’m not complaining, really, because I’ve long since accepted this, just explaining my dilemma. I was bound and f’ing determined though, folks, to get big hair for my engagement pictures. 

My hair for our Wedding Day is going to be a bit more refined, mostly because I don’t want to have to worry about it. I wanted to Go Big or Go Home (pun TOTALLY intended) for our engagement pictures. So, I invested in a crimper.

source | The Conair CD400R You Wave 3-Barrel Ceramic Styler

Yup. A crimper. 

Because I was well aware of the likelihood of yet another Epic Fail Whale, I decided to do a Trial. It was going to be just one afternoon when I was at home and not busy, but again, I decided to Go Big or Go Home (nope, it’s not getting old. . .). I had a Girls Night planned with BM Y and BM Blackout and I decided to do it for this night. Worst case scenario, I pulled it up in a big, hairsprayed pony. Best case scenario, I had giant country singer hair for a night out on the town (squee, for real).

Next up: The documented EPic Hair Trial. 

Anyone else put this much thought and effort into their hair for their engagement pictures? Anyone else buy a crimper in this decade? ;) 

7 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I hate you. I want our scandalously lovely hair-pic all over this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE say you remember my freshman year when I attempted to achieve "big country hair" by braiding it overnight, and then brushed it out in the morning like an idiot!!! I clearly remember you telling me that I wasn't supposed to do that hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and if you don't remember, then I just feel ridiculous lol

      Delete
    2. LOL dying. Of COURSE I remember!! Hilarious that you remember me telling you that you did it wrong. Sounds pretty freakin' accurate. You know what else I remember? Your perm in 7th (8th?) grade and how mad your mom would get when you'd straighten your hair.

      Delete
    3. I cracked up this morning thinking about it. Hilarious. I'm like shaking my head at the memory.

      Delete