Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, June 15, 2012

Go Big or Go Home: The Epic EPic Hair Trial Conclusion

I recently shared my inspiration and deep love for big ass country singer hair and now, I'm going to share the results. I took pictures every step of the way - including immediately post-shower - so be gentle with me, here.

First things first: my hair, immediately post-shower. 

Clearly, the way to make the MySpace-tastic bathroom cell phone sans makeup picture okay is to make silly faces.

This was immediately after my shower - all I did here was comb it. As you can see, not much life to it. It exists, it's there, it's alive and. . .that's about it. If I were to let it dry without doing anything else, it'd look pretty much like it does right here except moistureless. 

I set to work blow-drying my hair, using the 'low' setting.

Trying to hurriedly snap the picture and figure out my front-facing camera nonsense. You may note that I have also already applied my makeup. . .I did so while my hair was wet in hopes of getting it to air-dry as much as possible because it takes freakin' forever.


Of course, next up was the actual crimping. I won't lie, friends: it is a long process, especially for someone like me who considers blow-drying and straightening appropriate for going out/a special occasion. It requires a lot of patience. To make sure I got as much of my hair as possible, I would gather most of my hair up and clip it on top of my head, letting down layer by layer as I crimped. Obviously I had a little of trouble with the back, even doing it this way, but BM Blackout was coming over to do her finishing touches so I had her do mine as well. 

Suffice it to say, I am BEYOND pleased with the results:


This is my serious face. I was concentrating REAL hard on getting the best shot.

These pictures may not do the final result justice but it's coming, I promise.


Wanted to share the products I used: a volumizing spray, hairspray (tons - CFC free, though!) and Leave-In Conditioner.
I was a little concerned because frankly, not many people feel the way I do about Big Ass Country Singer Hair. BM Blackout has the most gorgeous, naturally curly, thick, long hair I have ever seen in my life and she is consistently on Big Hair Watch. She'll ask me if it's too big, if she should pull it up and I swear, a box of '!!!!!!!!!!' appears over my head. In one of my college classes we were discussing advertising and someone brought in a magazine photo of a Big, Sexy, Hair product and one of my classmates said, "Who wants big hair? Since when is that 'sexy'? I work so hard to AVOID that."

source | Oh? This isn't what everyone wants? . . Really? 

I still spoke my peace and claimed that I would be head over heels if my hair looked like that, but many of my fellow classmates disagreed. I've also done informal polls among friends, guys and girls alike, and it's generally the same: nobody really likes Big Hair. Womp, womp, wommmmp. 

Anyway, back to my point: I was a little concerned that my hair was TOO big. I stepped out of the bathroom tentatively and showed BM Blackout and Best Man R. "Does it look okay?" They both assured (and re-assured. . .and re-re-assured. . .and re-re-re-assured) that this wasn't just me being me, that it did, in fact, look good. In fact, Best Man R said, "you know I don't like big hair, but that looks really good." BM Blackout said, "That's about as country singer as it gets."

WIN!

I then allowed myself to get excited and hurriedly told them to wait for the finished product. When I came out completely decked in the little dress I was wearing, shoes and jewelery on. . .well, I got the official Stamp of Approval. When BM Y came to pick us up, she came in for a little. We shared thoughts on our scandalous outfits and being all 'done up' and laughed at the fact that it's been quite some time since we had put this much effort into going out for a night. 

BM Y, myself and BM Blackout getting ready for a big night. In the interest of full disclosure, BM Y had a promo that evening and the Bump was required.
My hair was a hit not only with myself and my friends, but with others at the bar as well. I received my fair share of compliments and was pretty pleased, overall, with how well it stayed. Big Ass Country Singer Hair was officially a DIY Success and I officially decided to do it the same way for our Engagement Pictures.

Like I said, friends: Go Big or Go Home.  

Anyone else opt for Big Ass Country Hair for their engagement or wedding pictures? Did I go TOO big?

*all photos personal and cell-phone quality unless noted otherwise

3 comments:

  1. YAY! You know I love it. I like big hair, too. What I don't like is my own hair untamed, because it's not "nice" big hair, but rather a frizzy, semi-straight, semi-wavy, semi-curly friggin' disgusting mess. So while I can understand some girls who may feel that way about big hair of their own, if it's well-done, I am absolutely down with some Big Sexy Hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Glad you're happy, miss! Also: of course, nobody likes untamed hair. None of the 'big hair' pictures I referenced were in the silly stage that is post-wash/dry, pre-style. And the advertisement we were studying is the one posted with Miss Katharine McPhee, in which her hair is STUNNING (and super close to BM Blackouts) and far from frizzy, semi-anything. It's a case of wanting what you can't have, I suppose: the girls that fought against it were girls with curly hair, who often straighten it. Me, on the other hand, can't convince my hair to curl with sponge rollers overnight so naturally, I drooled. Crimping = happy medium that my hair actually listens to, so I may just look like I live in the 80's from this point forward.

      Delete
  2. I just have to say, I have made it my life goal to have, as you so perfectly worded it, "Big Ass Country Singer Hair." I lovelovelove big hair! If I am the 1% of the population that agrees with you, then so be it. But I love big hair and just wanted you to know that someone else is on your side! In my book, the bigger the better. That is, if you have a reasonable shape and style to it. I'm a fan of natural looking and a bit wild, but not rats nest wild. And BTW, my FAVORITE product that I use is BigSexyHair. <3 Would recommend this stuff to anyone! Great blog, Steph!

    ReplyDelete