Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hair Love: What gives a girl power and punch?

. . .is it charm, is it poise? No, it's Hairspray



source | Mmm, my husband can serenade me any day. What, you didn't know we're married? ;) 

A more apt title for this post could have been 'Hairspiration' but this song just kept popping in my head so I decided to try and be clever. ;) 

(P.S. I know Mrs. Potion had a really similar title to one of her hair posts - I promise I'm not copy catting, this was written prior to being a Bee and I just love the song, the title, etc. so much that I didn't want to change it.) 

I am always on the lookout for hair and makeup inspiration pictures (to pin to my 'Wedding - EEE!' board on Pinterest, ahem). At this point, I haven't nailed down exactly what I want my makeup to be like, but I know - and honestly, have always known - what I want my hair to be like.

Mr. Palm Tree and I both share a 'wtf' sentiment at this new craze that has had girls wearing their hair down and straight, like every day life, for special events. I have absolutely no clue where this came from, but it makes no sense to me. We both much prefer Princess Giselle's look in every day life than the ridiculousness that was her 'elegant' look for the ball (I must have my hubby James Marsden on the brain, after looking at those pictures I YouTube'd 'True Love's Kiss'. Not ashamed, folks, not ashamed).

True Confessions (I do this a lot, huh?): I will never be the person who gets out of bed early enough to perfect hair and makeup and arrive at work impeccable. Quite the contrary, I am the person who barely wakes up with enough time to do enough with her hair and put on enough makeup to arrive at work acceptable. This, of course, is something I feel should carry over to my Wedding Day look - although I will undeniably spend much more time and effort on how I look, I still want to look like myself. 

image via Kristin Newman Designs | found on A Low Country Wedding |  As gorgeous as this is, it would never work for me. 
I've always known that a half-up, half-down style would suit perfectly. It will keep the hair out of my face, and I'll still be able to get curls (something I can almost NEVER sport, ever) and huge volume. My favorite hair has always been giant, country star hair (. . .foreshadowing. . . ;) ahem), but pictures like this still look my breath away:

image via Elizabeth Messina | Found on Style Me Pretty | I love simple, almost beachy waves - but my hair would never hold them, even with the help of Ultra Clutch ;) 

Friends, I stumbled across the following picture(s) years ago. I have had it saved in my GMail as 'wedding hair' since at least 2009. I can Google wedding hairstyles until my own hair falls out, but it is safe to say that come our big day, my hair will look as close to this as possible:

source | Folks, you can find this picture every and anywhere - on every freaking hair website imaginable. No joke.
source | apologies for the poor coloring/quality of this one!

I cannot think of anything better and more suiting. Believe it or not, I've never showed this to Mr. Palm Tree, so barring I make it another year, he'll be truly surprised. 

Every time I look at these pictures, I cannot help but sigh and smile. I just envision my long hair (that I am working on growing so desperately) sitting all Country Star-tastic as I say "I Do." Well, until the reception anyway. . .then anything is fair game and it's quite possible it'll all end up in a messy pony by night's end. ;) 

What is/was your 'hairspiration'? I know that a lot of girls are anti-hairspray and/or product - if you're one of them, did this influence your decision? (sidenote: I cannot be anti-hairspray and/or product or my hair would never do anything. I have long ago learned to accept and embrace the stiffness and general icky/slimy texture). 

7 comments:

  1. I am anti-hairspray or mousse because I hate not being able to touch my hair. It may be a nervous habit, I don't know, but I am ALWAYS running my fingers through my hair. That's part of why I want my hair to be up for the wedding, because otherwise I will pull all of the curl out (unless it's done with hot rollers, in which case I'll have to wash it to get the curl out because it lasts forever)! I love Carrie Underwood, she's my faaaaaaaaavorite <3 and gorgeous hair, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly! Even with hot rollers, or the old school sleep-with-them-in rollers, my hair dies. I've sported successful curls maybe four times in my life.

      Delete
  2. Love the Carrie Underwood hair (and makeup). She is stunning and I think this would look great on you! Keep in mind that if you don't have the length you want by the wedding you can always get some clip-ins! There are a ton of good hair extensions out there that add volume and/or length! I have some in now for my wedding and I love them! They also hold a TON of curl with hardly any hairspray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't even consider her makeup, but I do love it - it's very subtle, and similar to what I (try to) do in every day life. . .well, at least for going out nights. ;)

      What are your clip-ins like? Were they expensive? How did you get them to match your hair color? TELL ME MORE.

      Delete
  3. Hair talk! Omg my new hairspiration is that gorgeous picture (2nd?) Of the blonde chick with a little too much volume and the side pony. I WANT THAT AS MY EVERYDAY HAIR! Must achieve somehow.... thanks to you my dear I am back on track to having long hair after I fried my ends bleaching them white and then gave myself bangs (fuckkkk how did this happen??)
    But enough about my hair drama, gotta say I'm SO excited to see you with the carriehair. You are going to look stunning and its the best of both worlds!
    YAY VOLUME! Its the name of the game in my book and hairspray is definitely friend, not food (nemo anyone?)
    Are you going to do a practice hair-doing session? My sister did before her wedding so it was like pampering-squared. Also, if you decide to do a runthrough, I will come to pitt and get ma hair did too! Who is your stylist? Sarah from puccini??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So not surprised that you like that picture, lady. I have a bunch of volume products, we can play next time you're in these parts?

      THANK YOU. <3 I am having a trial, but it'll be closer to the wedding because I'll (hopefully) have the hair I want for the big day. My stylist is Nicci from Bella Brides by Nicci, I actually found her through our stellar photographers! I'm really excited - she's doing the whole bridal party. Sarah from Puccini will probs be doing my hair for the engagement photos, though. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and obviously, come to Pitt anyway. <3 xoxo

      Delete