Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, May 21, 2012

What I Cannot WAIT To Do

I went to a Happy Hour recently with some of my co-workers and friends, including Bridesmaid Blackout, Groomsman Y, Mr. Palm Tree and a couple who just got married. They were leaving for their honeymoon in Mexico the next morning. The new Mrs. was joking with me and telling me how insane I'm going to be once invitations go out, because you're so dependent on other people. I told her that her Groom often jokes with me that during the last few months of our planning, Mr. PT is welcome to stay at their place, to ensure the sanity of all involved (har-dee-har-har). 

At some point or another during the conversation I exclaimed, "oh, there is so much I wish I could do right NOW!" Her eyes widened and she laughed at me, asking what I could possibly be excited about since a lot of the big ticket items (shoesdress, venue - just a few examples) are locked and loaded.

The first thing I can't wait to do are our seating charts. I know that modern technology (of which I am a HUGE fan, do not get me wrong - I am a Google/Amazon/Facebook girl through and freaking through) makes it easy and convenient to accomplish this task using spreadsheets and ready-made templates.

screenshot via WeddingWire | Wedding Wire's Seating Chart tool
But I have forever envisioned myself with tons of circle-shaped cardboard cut-outs with color-coordinated post its. 

 Miss Mink's Seating Chart - still not exactly what I'd like, but close!
Once upon a time, I was super pumped for bathroom baskets and out-of-town bags, but they've since moved to the "if I have time" part of the to-do list. We're under 100 days - every ounce of energy needs to be accounted for and applied wisely. I still like to dream about and pin idea, though.

Since everyone will essentially be out-of-town (it's pretty much a 30-45ish minute travel for 85% of the guest list), we'll probably put together a more low-key version due to having pretty much everyone staying at the hotel: water bottles are a must and likely a few snacks and/or something Pittsburgh-specific. Miss Turkey posted a really awesome write-up of her version of both.

I have also considered including flip flops in the ladies' bathroom.

via Party Guest essentials | Look at the cute baskets! I've seen them in legitimate laundry baskets as well.

via Old Navy | Can't really beat Old Navy's 2 for $5 flip flops.
Why is this included in the 'cannot WAIT' post, you ask? Couldn't I just go buy the flip flops now and consider one goal accomplished?

Sure - but how do I know how many to buy? Do I just assume half of our hoped-for guest list is going to be women, and go from there? Do I try to grab an equal amount of sizes? Furthermore, what if I finally have that AHA! favor idea (sigh) and it tends to be a bit out of budget, and I could have made it happen if only I didn't blow 'x' amount on flip flops because in retrospect they are totally cuttable corners? 

This, friends, is the true plight of a Bride on a Budget with a Type A personality and a longish engagement: you want to get everything done and you have all of these obviously genius ideas (ahem) but you have to. . .wait.  Wait on other people, wait to see if it's in your budget, wait for the right time - to the tune of Marcia-Marcia-Marcia, I whine wait, wait, wait!

What are/were you most excited for in planning your wedding? Do you have a Pinterest board full of super awesome ideas that are testing your patience? (Please don't tell me it's just me. . .)

1 comment:

  1. SO excited for Jamaica, and I must say I do love that our trip starts on your 1-year mark. :) I also love the fact that your birdies currently say 1 year and ONLY TWO DAYSSSS!!!! EEEEEEE!!!!! (Okay, it doesn't quite say that, but that's what I see!)

    Time has already gone oh-so-fast and it will go even faster once we're inside the year mark, and once you do your E-shoot! EEEEEEEEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete