Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A much less painful taming of the Hairy, Scary Monster (TMI Again!)

Parts one and two of the Hairy, Scary Monster story focused on my incredible anxiety as well as my less-than-comfortable results post-taming. 

I am beyond elated to share the details of my follow-up waxing, specifically the one that goes a little like this: IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER!!! 

I actually went for the Bikini Wax this time instead of the Brazilian. Although I was initially going to go Brazilian again, they didn't have a time slot available that would work for me and I half-chickened out, half-took it as a sign. The girl on the phone offered, "we could do a bikini instead?" Hmmm. . .bikini, you say? Cheaper, you say? Less land mass to be irritated and swollen, you say? 
A lot of questions on my last post (and e-mails I received) related to two of the five W's - what and where - so I've decided to use my MSPaint skills and create a slightly better than stick figured (but not really), somewhat crude illustration to help explain. All potentially offended people please exit now. 

this was all me, baby
As you can (hopefully) see above, quite a bit was waxed. For a little more than half of the price of the Brazilian, I am beyond pleased. I was also super pumped to have been offered disposable undies for both a) the wax didn't get on my real undies and b) I didn't feel so exposed. The disposable undies covered just what they needed to and when my esthetician wanted to get a little more 'in', she tied a paper towel around the thicker part. It was so effective and simple. It is definitely MORE than what a bikini shows, for which I am grateful (quite honestly, the less I have to shave, the better).

She started the appointment asking me if I had ever been waxed and I explained that I had a Brazilian and the after-effects were awful. After I relayed the gory details, she was grateful. "I'm so glad that you told me all of that. Here's what I'm going to do. . ." 

She used a cream wax on me, instead of the previous 'sticky' wax. The wax used by Phoebe and Monica in The One With the Morning After was 'sticky' wax, if that helps you characterize. If you don't set your entire life by television shows and/or pop culture, then maybe this will ring that bell for you:

source | This is the color of 'sticky' wax. I'm sure there is a much more technical term for it, but this is what she said so I'm going with it. 
Cream wax still gets heated up in a warmer, still gets applied with a stick, still gets peeled off with a strip, it's just better for sensitive skin. It's a different color and it's. . .wait for it. . .creamier.

image via Body Waxing Supplies | I am 98% sure this is the product line used by my esthetician today. 
I don't really know the absolute differences and I am going solely off of what was told. One might wonder why I'm being so blind and/or ignorant, and I'll tell you why: because it works. 

I still had the same jumpy-oh-my-nerves-felt-that-one 'pain', but it was so much less intense. I could tell after the second or third strip that it was going to be nothing like last time and I actually clapped over it. "This is one MILLION times better," I gushed. 

Even hours later, instead of Irritation & Co. showing up to party, they actually started to pack it up and go home. It's not like I was anxious to wear leather pants or anything that would rub the area directly, but it was touchable. It was breathable. I am not laying spread-eagled for fear of friction. This, my friends, is what I call success.

I can safely say that I will be utilizing the bikini wax pretty frequently, specifically in the summer months and, of course, right around the time I get ready to say "I do". Consider this an official endorsement as well as official pieces of advice: If you have sensitive or easily affected skin, go for the bikini wax. If you're not comfortable with baring all of your lady bits, go for the bikini wax. If you had a hairy, scary experience with the Brazilian's version of taming the Hairy, Scary Monster, do not give up hope! After all, even Mr. Palm Tree pointed out, "well, who cares what UNDER the underwear looks like anyway?" So wise, so wise. 

Anyone else had pleasing bikini wax experiences or terrible Brazilian experiences? Both? Anyone think it's so not worth it and just going to stick with a razor? 

5 comments:

  1. I recently went for my first Brazilian this past Saturday and I must admit I was quite pleased. Having heard horror stories from friends I was somewhat apprehensive, but I think all the stories did me good cause I was didn't think it was so bad. Painful yes, but bearable. To be honest my least favorite part was the tweezing of the left over hairs was my least favorite part. I don't even tweeze my eyebrows on a weekly basis let alone down there. As far as my lady parts go they didn't get too irritated. I actually ended up at the bar the night. The only thing I would say that I was a little unhappy about was the fact that not everything seems to be missing down there. What I mean to say is that she missed a few, or rather what seems to me like more than a few. I'm not sure if it's the place I went or just how it might be the first time around, but I like to be spotless after I shave so I expected the same for this situation. I definitely would like to do it again. I just hope I can bear the growing back process. Probably the worst part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way - there was still a fair amount of random hair, which I wasn't pleased about. The second time she did a much more thorough job, but there are still hairs leftover. I also am used to shaving and having no hairs left, so it's strange, but overall I like the feeling after waxing so much more (no stubble!), so I can deal with some random stray hairs. You don't really feel them or really see them, and if they're dark or annoy me, I just tweeze them out! LOL

      As for growing it out, it's not so bad, and it really does grow in softer/finer!

      Delete
    2. Did you tweeze the leftover hairs yourself or did your esthetician? Because mine totally did not, either time. Granted I don't exactly blame her for avoiding the giant red mass that was my lady bit, but I'm curious if that's standard procedure. I think that the first time it's impossible to get 'everything' because I also had patches. . .also, it could be because it wasn't grown out long enough so the wax couldn't grab the hair.

      As far as growing out, I hated it, but just because I hate having hair down there. It is absolutely softer/finer (seriously moreso than the hair on your head) and it doesn't itch, like it's prone to do when it's growing back post-shave, but it's definitely still uncomfortable - especially if you're not used to it.

      Also: jelly that you weren't irritated! Seriously, I was dead.

      Delete
  2. Omgosh! Yay!! I made my first appointment, which is coming up in a few weeks! I'm not going for a brazilian my first time I don't think..I'm doing pretty much what you did the second time. They say it's kind of in between a bikini and a brazilian! Soo happy your experience went so much better! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally think that's the best idea! I was writing this and I was like, "this is so what Eryn should do!" I'd be so sad for you if you opted for Brazilian and then ended up like me for your wedding. I think this is a really great option. Even this morning, everything looked normal. I'm SO pleased and I'm excited to hear about your experience as well!

      Delete