Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, May 25, 2012

The Honeymoon Contenders

One of the (seemingly 900) reasons we were so excited for our trip to Jamaica with The Y’s last year was using it as a test run for our Honeymoon. 

Believe it or not, we have not settled on an idea for our Honeymoon. We have an overall, admittedly typical, vision and lists of 'musts': all-inclusive, tropical, drinks, relaxation, beach. But there are so many options to consider, even as a Bride (/Couple) on a Budget, especially with websites like LivingSocial and Groupon

In fact, our Jamaica trip came from LivingSocial. GM Y came to me LAST November regarding BM Y’s Christmas gift. He wanted to do something “big” and special for her, since he was planning to propose later in the year. He sent me potential excursions – I know one was Mexico, one was a ski-resort in Colorado and one was Jamaica. We were pro-and-con’ing each when he dropped, “you and Jon should come!” I dismissed it at first with a, “oh, we’d LOVE to but (insert something standard here).” He kept pursuing it, stating that she’d be even more surprised and it’d mean even more to her, we’d have so much fun, it wouldn’t be the same. . . and I caved. It took a little bit of convincing for Jon (he is totally and completely the level-headed, financially responsible half of this duo) but eventually we decided we could and would do it. For the record, GM Y was totally right: BM Y said she didn’t cry until she realized we were going, too (granted, it could have been tears of laughter at the poorly illustrated palm tree and ‘ocean’ I drew in the ‘I.O.U’ I gave her at Christmastime, but still, tears happened). 

We purchased the trip before Jon proposed (even though I knew it was coming. . .), so once the engagement was official, we decided to look at this trip as a trial. If we liked Jamaica enough, as I am pretty sure we will, we’d go there for our Honeymoon. I liked that it would have meaning, considering we’re embarking on this trip exactly one year prior to our wedding, and it would be our first “Big Trip” as an engaged couple. We both liked that it was fairly budget-friendly – after all, if we could do it now for seemingly no reason other than to accompany our friends and enjoy some tropical fun, then why not for a big celebration and treat to us as a married couple? In the meantime, though, we’ve been tossing around other ideas just in case. 


Years and years ago, I begged for Disney World (because I am the biggest Disney freak ever and had not yet been) and he offered the compromise of a Disney cruise. I accepted. . .perhaps more graciously after I went to Disney World last spring with BM Blackout and her family
personal photo | BM Blackout and I by the Castle! Dreams really do come true.

Later discussions lead to dropping the ‘Disney’ part and just going on a cruise. A girl I went to college with is a Cruise-a-holic so I reached out to her for some basic info. No matter what way we spun it, it’s going to be expensive for us. I mentioned this to Jon, also with a suggestion of, “we could just go somewhere we love, like Charleston [South Carolina – one of our favorite places ever] that we know will be a little cheaper, and save for a trip later.” He almost immediately poo-poo’d that idea, responding with, “we spend money fairly frivolously all the time and I don’t think a Honeymoon is the time to start reigning in our budget. If anything, we deserve a big treat and celebration, so I’m fine with spending more money on something once-in-a-lifetimeish.” That smartypants hubby-to-be of mine will never cease to catch me off guard and give me flutterbies.

A cruise is definitely still on the table. A trip to Hawaii is as well. A really good friend of our Best Man’s went Honeymooning there and I reached out to him for advice and information. He responded with the best e-mail I have ever received in life that spoke directly to my Type A heart, with bolded headings and everything. There was so much helpful information and we had already been daydreaming about it; the e-mail solidified Hawaii as a contender.

We’re both enamored with the tropicality and idea of a group of US Islands and have dreamed of the US Virgin Islands as a Honeymoon destination for quite some time. In fact, when we would talk about it pre-engagement, our Honeymoon trip was going to be a cruise to the US Virgin Islands. We dream big, people. I sincerely think this trip is the most reasonable contender, especially because I have been stalking getaway deals and keep running into all-inclusive, five-night stays in dreamy St. John and St. Croix.

One of the downfalls of Honeymoon-planning is that it's not something you can do too far ahead of time. Factors like flight prices, the time of year (for both travel and booking) and, of course, money play into this aspect heavily. This is definitely not one of the aspects that I can wrap up with a bow and place it on the shelf until it's needed - and yes, that kills me. ;) I am excited, though, that this is something that we're both equally amped for and will fully involve both of us.

Regardless of where we go, we’re both ecstatic about being able to go anywhere as newlyweds. We refer to grocery shopping as “going on an adventure” and end up in tears of laughter every single time – the two of us, post-wedding, in a beautiful fun-in-the-sun atmosphere will have us euphoric. I’m excited to share Jamaica stories with everyone upon our return – I will definitely have tons of pictures and maybe even a planned Honeymoon destination? 

Have you traveled anywhere that you think would recommend as a Honeymoon destination? Anywhere to avoid? 

2 comments:

  1. If you have any questions about Hawaii at all, or simply want to chat about it, JUST ASK! It's my favorite place in the whole wide world... peace, happiness, total relaxation. It's everything you would want. Groupon, Bloomspot, and Living Social also tend to have great deals on some AMAZING hotels on the islands.

    I hope you're going to enjoy your trip in Jamaica! I'm sure that it will be worry free :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll definitely hit you up if I have questions. I've never heard of Bloomspot - what is it?!

      Delete