Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Hairy Scary Monster: Part Uno (Potential TMI!)

You know that episode of Full House where Stephanie tries to scare Michelle by referring to the haaaaairy scaaaaaary monster? You know, the one that scares the Cookie Monster?

source | This has nothing to do with anything, except that it came up on a  Google search and made me laugh.
Well. . .I'm not talking about him.


I am talking about the one that lies, often (well. . .hopefully often. . .) hidden on all of us. You know, the hairy scary monster that lives *whispers* down there (insert suggestive eyebrow and knowing look here). 

Here's the deal, friends. I'm not going to pretend to know how all lady bits work OR the preferences of every said lady who reads this blog. I am, however, going to venture into potential TMI territory that every bride thinks about at least one hundred thousand times once. Fair warning.

I am a frequent bikini-wearer in the summer. I have had a season pass to Sandcastle Waterpark for what will be four summers in a row. I make at least one trip to the beach each summer. And I have been fighting a raging battle with my bikini line for years. . .and years and years and years. I used Nair Sensitive Bikini Line for a while, but like everything else phenomenal and worthwhile: it stopped working. 

image via Nair's website | RIP, my old friend
Naturally, I don't want to worry about how freshly-shaven I am or be dealing with the stragglies rubbing up against whatever wedding-themed underwear I will inevitably don. 

source | Guess who pinned these to her 'WEDDING! EEEEE!' board. Beyond in love with these.
So, naturally, this left me with one option: waxing. The author of my favorite, to date, wedding book How I Planned Your Wedding suggested an alternative process called sugaring, but even though I spent days Googling my options it seemed like only one place in/near Pittsburgh offered it. This place was not only far away but it seemed a little. . .too alternative? for my tastes. As I seriously contemplated waxing, I started to think of the pros and cons - and believe me, ending up like Monica and Phoebe from that Friends episode was totally topping the 'con' list.

source | This episode is one of my favs for so many reasons.
Also contenders: my ridiculously sensitive skin, a potential allergic reaction and having to grow the 'hairy scary' part of the monster for it to work. 

So I went with the very common option in Bride-to-Be world: grabbed a girlfriend (in this case, it happened to be Bridesmaid Y) and went for a trial. 

Do you handle your hairy scary monster problems? Any other Brides out there scarred by Monica and Phoebe's experience?

12 comments:

  1. Is there going to be a part 2 to this for results, or is that TMI? Also, you didn't say, "grabbed a girlfriend, guzzled some margaritas to dull the pain, and went for a trial!" I think the margaritas is a clutch point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you not notice the 'Part One' of the title? ;) Not to mention - I didn't describe the trial yet either! Silly goose, stop getting ahead of me just 'cause you know the story ;) No fair!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I just wanted to make sure I agreed! haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Stephanie! This is Eryn. I am getting married in a little over a month and I am contemplating the same thing!! I don't know what to do. I'm anxious to hear your part 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the process of writing part 2 but wanted to get back to you ASAP: definitely make an appointment within the next two(ish) weeks! You will inevitably have some irritation and you so don't want to have to deal with that on your big day. I'll go into more detail in the second half of the story. :)
      P.S. !!!! A LITTLE OVER A MONTH?! EEEE! So soon!

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you!! Will do!!! :D And yeah!! Very soon!! :P :P

      Delete
  3. This post actually made me laugh out loud and before I even got to the FH part I said in the FH manner. Even worse was your seeing you afterwards. I look forward to how part two will be written, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who told me she used tweezers down there! At first I thought owww, but when I was on that AFL dance team we had a swimsuit calendar photo shoot and I decided to try it. Not exactly as fast as waxing but same result and it definitely didn't hurt that bad! And you end up without the red and irritation. Just thought I'd give an alternative! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say whaaaa? Tweezers?! Please tell you mean just the bikini area and not the whole thing, Lol.

      Delete
    2. They can use tweezers post-wax to remove the stubborn hairs that the wax couldn't get, but I'm pretty sure Steph would still end up red and irritated from tweezing!

      Delete
    3. Girlfriend you know how long that would take?! Actually I did do the whole thing once. -___- Lasted longer than shaving, though! I'm too scared to get waxed haha. Maybe after reading your post I'll get some courage.

      Delete
    4. You tweezed the whole thing once? Lol you are so much more patient than I am, I would never have lasted. That's impressive. I bet it did last longer than shaving though, I'm definitely going to keep it mind for stubborn or in-between maintenance. :P Definitely try it - they make numbing cream (something I found out after, of course =/ ).

      Delete