Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, November 1, 2013

Treely, Madly, Deeply: The End of the Night: Push It and We Go Together

I have known so many of my friends for so long and have spent so much time with them that we all have inside jokes/stories. So many of us have dances and songs that are intricately linked to memories and times we've shared together. It was really important to me to include as many of these things as possible in our reception because honestly, Mr. Palm Tree and I would not be whole without the fabulous people in our lives.

One of these songs is Push It by Salt-n-Pepa. In addition to vivid memories of GM Pythagoras and his friend singing and dancing to this down the hallways in high school, MOH Mem and I share a connection to it. We (along with BM Y) saw the movie Something Borrowed together in theaters (one of the best book-to-film adaptations I've ever seen, for the record) and like many other 20-somethings, became obsessed with the dance scene. 


When it would come on at bars, we would immediately try to re-enact this scene. We never discussed it, it's just what we did. Some time in the week before our wedding, I said that I wanted to really learn it, so we spent quite a bit of time watching this tutorial and practicing. 

True Confessions: come the night of my wedding, every bit of practice flew out the window and I forgot so much of it. I've mentioned multiple times that I was a terrible dancer but I honestly thought I'd at least remember the moves. No such luck. I remember thinking afterwards that I completely botched it. . .and then, I saw our pictures.

*all photos courtesy of Limelight-Images


You guys, these pictures make me look as if I know what I'm doing!










Right after this, our photographer Jimmy came up to me and told me he was leaving. I have no clue what time it was but I know it wasn't quite the end of the night - however, I can not fill you in on the appropriate timeline for the rest of the night because I barely remember what happened after this point, let alone the order of events. I know that, at one point, we were all singing My Heart Will Go On on the dance floor (so fitting for us, of course). I know that, at one point, our DJ announced that the first shuttle was leaving and that quite a few people left. I know that, at one point, I started to say goodbye to people and I also got sucked in to quite a few 'serious' conversations that I don't remember. I know that I was leaning on Mr. Palm Tree and we were being ooey-gooey-lovey-dovey. Finally, our DJ announced that it was time for the last song.

I was so careful with our song choices, as I mentioned in a few earlier posts. When I thought about what our last song would be, there was really no other choice - it hit me and I swear, the stars aligned and fireworks were going off in the distance.

Our last song was We Go Together from Grease. It was so perfect, too - everyone screamed and ran to the middle of the floor and started singing and dancing. Mr. Palm Tree grabbed me and we were dancing in the middle of everyone. I wish we had pictures of it, but at the same time, I'm glad we don't - it means that everyone there was involved. We were all so freaking happy, hive. It's something I vividly remember - down to Mr. Palm Tree sort of dragging me through the circle at the end and me turning and waving, you know, like the driving away into the clouds scene at the end of the movie. It was so great, so all of us, and a great note on which to end the night.

While the guests trickled out and DOC E gathered all of our belongings and loaded them into our car, I got the bartender to fill up my drink one last time before we boarded the trolley to take us back to the hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment