Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Treely, Madly, Deeply: Family Photos

Admittedly, family pictures have always mattered the least to me when perusing other peoples' albums and blog posts. They're nice, they're sentimental and they definitely have meaning - but only to the people actually in them, I feel. 

That having been said, there will be absolutely no hard feelings if you skim or skip this post. ;)

It's no secret that I have family drama. As a result, I have little to no pictures with anyone in my family. Even the pictures that existed from my childhood, from the once upon a time when things were normal, have been long deemed MIA. These pictures, although they don't feature my mother or my father, featured people that are related to me and there are some that showcase both sides of something magical and beautiful: Mr. Palm Tree's and my relationship. As a result, I get a little misty when I look at them and feel as though they deserve their feature as well.

*all photos courtesy of Limelight-Images



In the above photo are my aunt and my cousins. My aunt is my mother's sister. She was not a part of most my life. My parents worked very hard to keep anyone who might intervene (that is: try to take my sister, whom I do not speak to any longer, and I away from them) out of our lives. As a result, I'd say from about age 12 or 13 until college, I had little to no contact with anyone in my family, save for my Gram who passed away my sophomore year of high school and Rev. Fun, who lived in Atlanta until recently. My aunt found my sister on Facebook my junior year of college and through her, we reconnected. She had absolutely no idea about the life I had lived. MOH Mem and I flew out to Vegas, where she and her family lived, during Spring Break that year and I was reunited with my family for the first time in over a decade. I hadn't even met my twin cousins and the last time I saw Alex, he was two. I met him again when he was twelve.

Since that trip, my aunt and I have reconnected. I can't say it's been all sunshine and roses, but that's how most families are (or so I'm told ;) ). It's been bumpy, from time to time, trying to find the balance: she's an adult and came into my life when I was an adult. We missed years of each other's lives where a natural progression would have taken place. We get along fabulously and are extremely close sometimes and other times, we butt heads like no other. We're still trying to figure it out, I think, but she and her kids are some of the most important people in my life. I am so grateful that we were able to find our way to one another. I am so grateful that they were a part of the Best Day of my Life.



This picture absolutely stuns me. These girls hold such a special spot in my heart.




From left to right: Mr. PT's grandfather, Mr. PT's grandmother, The Palm Trees, FMIL Palm Tree and Mr. PT's stepfather.


Mr. Palm Tree and I are both incredibly close to his grandparents. We like to think of ourselves as mini versions of them. Next year, they'll celebrate their 50th anniversary as we celebrate our first. 


We make fun of his stepfather all of the time for not smiling in pictures.

All of the family members together. <3 
Up Next: more red door photos. We just couldn't get enough of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment