Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, October 28, 2013

Treely, Madly, Deeply: Our Reception - Dancing And My 'Regret' Revisited.

One of the things I really wanted to make sure our wedding included was a ton of dancing. I told this to our DJ so many times he was probably ready to throttle me. I even emailed him and told him that I had a nightmare that nobody danced (dramatic, but true). When he came up to the Bridal Suite before our Introductions, he told me that he'd do his absolute best but it really is up to the Bride and Groom to get the guests started - something that we sort of failed at, at least at the beginning of the night. 

Thank goodness I put together a very intense 'Must Play' list (which I'll share in a later post) and thank goodness, my guests know how to have a good time (and how to drink ;) ).

*all photos courtesy of Limelight-Images






So much fun being had without Mr. and Mrs. Palm Tree. I get semi-sad/jelly every time I see these pictures. 



I know a lot of people are anti-line-dances, but I am definitely in the pro-line-dances camp. I LOVE them. Partially because I'm the worst dancer you can imagine (for real), so it makes me feel like I can do something and partially because of the whole unity thing. Just look how packed the dance floor is (again: without Mr. or Mrs. PT) in these pictures:



Another sad time for me: we missed the Thriller dance. I barely even want to talk about this. I spent days teaching FG Pad how to do it, I spent days learning myself. I even once had a plan for Rev. Fun and BM Tiny Dancer to teach the whole wedding party to do it and we would flash mob the shit out of the dance floor. 

Sighsies.






At least all of my girls were rocking it, though. 
I have no idea how or why this next event started, but I know that Friends L and K started it and I know that I'm so glad that they did.



Yes, that's a Conga line and yes, I'm actually in it - along with FG Pad, BM Y, Mr. PT's cousins A and K and so many other people. Just look at all of us!






Backwards Conga'ing = serious skills.


My friends are going to die when they notice my awkward feet/ankles in this picture. 

FINALLY, Mr. Palm Tree and I joined the dance floor and the party raged on appropriately. 

BM Tiny Dancer and Best Man R mastering the Cotton-Eyed Joe. Another group favorite.



Lest you think I'm just standing there in the background, I'm going to clarify that I was actually trying to teach K the dance. We ended up just twirling instead. 

"Look at me, I'm dancing crazy!" Anyone catch the reference? ;)
Again, folks, if my last post didn't convince you, maybe this one will. I hate to say that I regret anything because honestly, our night was so much fun and so special (I still feel this way, for the record). At the time, I didn't notice that I was missing anything - I truly though that we had made the best decision for us. Looking at these pictures and talking to our wedding party/our guests afterward made us realize that we essentially 'lost' a significant amount of time (to clarify, it's not like hours went by - I remember asking, when I finally got to the dance floor, what time it was and I realized we still had two and a half solid hours to go) to have fun and spend a different sort of quality time with everyone. 

I know that no wedding is the same for everyone and I know that no decision related to one's wedding can be the same/universal, but I do know that I wish I had thought it through more. . .so if anything, really take the time to think how you want to spend your reception, because it does fly by and you will have tons of time to think about it after the fact and you don't want to be all huffy like me. ;) 

Next up: more reception fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment