Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Treely, Madly, Deeply: The Dances

From the moment I got engaged, I was sure that Mr. Palm Tree and I would be dancing to Adam Sandler's "I Wanna Grow Old With You" from The Wedding Singer (like Mrs. Coyote and Mrs. Armadillo). Mr. PT and I both love Adam Sandler and one of our first 'dates' consisted of us cuddling up on his mom's couch and having a mini-Adam Sandler marathon. It was short, sweet and silly - and wouldn't require much actual dancing, because I am nothing if not clumsy and awkward. 


About a month before the wedding, though, Mr. Palm Tree sent me an email with a link in it and it said, "This should be our First Dance." I was so floored. For him to have had this type of reaction to a song meant a lot and that wasn't lost on me. I listened to it a few times and was touched that he associated the song with us - and that's how Allison Krauss' "When You Say Nothing at All" became our First Dance song (as a sidnote, Mr. PT started listening to a country station on Pandora after we became mildly obsessed with The Voice over the last year and that's how he came across this song). Feel free to listen as you look.



*all photos courtesy of Limelight-Images


"It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word you can light up the dark
Try as I may I could never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all


All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near you drown out the crowd
Old Mr. Webster could never define
What's being said between your heart and mine



The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all."

I might be the first Bride to ever say this but if I could give any advice regarding a First Dance, I think it would be to not practice. As I've mentioned, I am a clumsy fool with less than zero rhythm. I was so nervous that our First Dance would make us look like a couple of Shuffles McGee's, so Mr. Palm Tree and I practiced our swayage and added in a few carefully-timed twirls and a dip. We were both trying so hard to stick with what we practiced, that we were whispering to each other, "get ready," or "okay, here it comes." I tripped and at one point, Mr. PT almost dropped me. It's hilarious now - and it was hilarious to both of us at the time, were both like, "okay, we're done." - but I would have loved to have had a nice, uneventful First Dance with my husband. 

After our First Dance, we had a Generation Dance - also called the Anniversary Dance, I believe? I've always loved this part of weddings and I think it's a great way to get people onto the Dance Floor right before it opens for the evening. We chose The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" for this song, thinking it was a strategic move. 

*all photos courtesy of Limelight-Images

I just love this photo - how perfect is it that we're both fidgeting with our rings?
We both thought that Mr. PT's grandparents would be the 'winners' of this - they will be married fifty years next year, when we're celebrating our first anniversary. This was their 'song', so we wanted to honor both of them. 

It came down to a battle of months, though, and my cousin L (who I grew up referring to as 'Aunt L' due to the large age gap - Italian families for the win) and her husband 'won', as they'll be celebrating their fiftieth anniversary later in October. 




Our DJ asking them for their advice. 'Uncle' C said to play a lot of golf, because it takes practice and patience - much like dealing with a wife. 'Aunt' L said, and I quote, "keep your shit off of Facebook." She went on to say that there were so many times in their life together that one of their bags was packed and they were ready to call it quits, but nobody knew that - and that they shouldn't. She advised us to keep all of problems between us and work them out privately.



Pretty perfect advice, I'd say.

After this, our dance floor was open and the party (finally) got to the level I knew it would.




No comments:

Post a Comment