Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Practice Makes Perfect: The Hair & Makeup Trial

I had my hair and makeup trial recently and I have to tell you all, I cannot believe I've hit THAT time. Time for a trial and vendor meetings and everything else. The Palm Trees are a little more than one month away and it's INSANE. After a year and a half of planning, it's so exciting to be so close.

I digress - this post is about my hair and makeup trial and at the risk of spoiling everything, it was so incredibly successful. First and foremost, I love Nicci, of Bella Brides by Nicci is phenomenal. She is so talented and just knows what she's doing and how to do it. I'm sure this is par for the course for beauticians but truthfully, this is the first time that I'm getting my hair and makeup done professionally for an event. In the past, I've relied on my friends (who are also talented, don't get me wrong) and I was just thoroughly in awe of her abilities. 

As I've mentioned a few times, I love big hair. I've always known that I'd want my hair half-up, half-down, big and curly. Of course, as I learned when we searched for both my dress and the bridesmaids' dresses, sometimes what you think will work just doesn't. I am so excited to say that this DID work and I'm in love with the result.
I brought Nicci four inspiration pictures, including the following:

photo via Getty Images, found on WomensDay.com 
The other three were all Carrie as well, of course. As far as makeup, I had zero inspiration. I told her that I wanted something that really made my eyes pop. She delivered on both counts, in my opinion.

all photos personal

LOVE the texture on the sides



Big, loose curls = SWOON 


Pardon the goober expression - had no clue how to smile/hold my face



Overall, I was over the moon. I don't say this to sound arrogant, but I felt so pretty - so bridal. We both discussed a few things we'll change on the day of, for both hair and makeup: way more product and a some more height (I am terrified that the curls will fall out and get stringy, even though this style lasted me all evening), a little more security with the bangs (we had put them in a few different places before we decided on the best placement),  some more drama on the eyes so that the camera picks up on it (true to form, it looked way more dramatic in person). We also may go with the next step up for eyelashes, for photo purposes, since I wasn't bothered by them at all. 

I am so, so pleased with the results. I got butterflies as I watched the transformation on my hair; it was definitely one of those 'it's really happening!' moments. I wholeheartedly recommend a trial for all Brides, for both reasons. If it goes well, you get to have a 'EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!' in honor of your awesome Bridal look. If it doesn't go well, you at least know what to change instead of being disappointed on your wedding day.

Anyone else going big and curly for their wedding day? Any other half-up, half-down Brides? 

1 comment: