Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dressing Our Flower Girls

Despite their brief appearance as photo bombers in my shower recap, Flower Girls Pad and Pie have not been properly introduced or discussed. These girls became a part of my life during my junior year of college, when I started to babysit them. The babysitting grew into nannying during my senior year and they've been a steady part of my life since then. I cannot imagine my life without them, their wonderful, strong, amazing mother or their collective words of wisdom (both wine-fueled and not ;) ). It was no question that they would be our Flower Girls. In fact, those were Mr. Palm Tree's words when I brought it up to him way back when. "Is it even a question?" 

Pad and Pie's mom and I searched for.ev.er for the right dresses for them. I, personally, am not a fan of white dresses for Flower Girls. I know that's the standard and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, because there isn't, I've just always envisioned my Flower Girls as my splash(es) of color, to match their vibrant personalities and overall cute and 'awwwwwww'-inducing-ness. 

We searched high and freaking low, almost the entire time I was engaged, for inspiration. We were thinking everything from pettiskirts to formal dresses in colors (we went from navy blue and pool to the yellow and grays that we have as part of our overall color scheme).

Seahorse Dress by Watters, image via Weddington Way

via Bella Bean Couture seller on Etsy

via Giselle Boutique seller on Etsy
image via The Little Pea Boutique seller on Etsy


image via Posh Baby Boutique Store

image via Posh Baby Boutique Store | I won't lie, Hive, for a while this was my #1 favorite - rainbow and all. 

image via Posh Baby Boutique Store
image via Vintage Gypsy Mama seller on Etsy
We would send each other images or links, squeal over them, and then - nada. No decisions. The only thing that I/we knew is that the girls would be in the Tiny TOMS glitters, to match mine. Eventually, though, Mama Pad&Pie had the idea that she would make the girls' dresses. She was going to try it out on Pie's Halloween costume (Pie insisted on being an "angelfish princess" which is "totally a real thing, I swear!") and if it was a bust, we'd go back to the drawing board. It wasn't a bust, though, and she made two skirts for Pad and Pie soon after Pie's costume trial.

When she originally made the skirts, I had another mini-panic because I had no clue what could possibly go with them that would look right. Leotards didn't look right and they made the entire thing seem dance costume-y instead of flower girl-y. I was hunting, though, and I found these sequined tank tops in Navy blue at Old Navy. I hurriedly sent the link to Mama P&P and she went to Old Navy that day, tried them on, and that was a wrap. 

I recently made a trip to Chez Pad and Pie to give the final okay on the girls' get-ups, as well as discuss hair options and logistics, and oh, man. My heart exploded into multiple pieces all.over.the.place. I mean, really, how could it not? Just LOOK at how ADORABLE they are!!


Pad on the left and Pie on the right. This is about as normal as it gets with my girls. ;)

My heart cannot even take this.

Pad's new favorite thing is bunny ears and Pie's new favorite thing is to stand like this. . .I'm surprised her tongue wasn't out as well. 

Pie's instructions to Pad: "Act like you're going to torture me!"
To add insult to the cuteness injury, Pad also had to sign a contract. Since she's been growing out her hair, she REFUSES to let anyone touch it - seriously, if you look at it too long, she'll tell you to stop. Which is fine for everyday, kid wear, but for a wedding, Mama P&P and I were both in the 'we have to do SOMETHING' camp. After we sat her down and talked all grown-up to her (she's caught between being eight and being a teenager. It's a thing), she agreed to let her mom curl her hair and pin some of it back; we shook on it AND pinkie promised. Oh, and she signed this:

personal photo | Sorry for the blurring - please take my word for it that Pad signed her name in cursive! Serious business, folks.
So, the Palm Tree Flower Girls are ready for their big day as well. We've practiced tons of times (with and without Mr. Palm Tree, actually - their favorite part is when we switch roles and Mr. Palm Tree is a flower girl) and they've watched the wedding episode of My Little Pony: Frienship is Magic multiple times in preparation. 

Any other brides-to-be having colorful flower girls and/or DIY'd dresses? 

No comments:

Post a Comment