Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Musings & Observations: A New Vision For Our Wedding

Small Disclaimer: I am so, so sorry for my absence, hive. As a reader, I would always be all 'pfffft where did she go?!' when Bees would be MIA for a bit and then when they'd post this exact disclaimer I'd think to myself that I'd never do that - well, I'm eating my crow, folks. Life definitely got in the way of EVERYTHING over the past few weeks, perhaps the biggest change being my career. I left my full-time job as a Lease Analyst and accepted a full-time position at the catering company I mentioned in this post as the Assistant Catering Director and Catering Supervisor. It's kind of a dream job, it's a lot of planning and coordinating and I LOVE it, but it came out of nowhere and was definitely not planned. I would never have actively chosen to leave my job twoish months away from my wedding, but when there's an opportunity for a dream to come true, you have to take it. As corny as it may sound, I almost think that become a Bee (another dream come true) inspired me to open myself up to other things. . .just a slightly revamped, more positive mindset. Anyway, this new position is vastly different from my old one, especially because I went from working 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday, with occasional extra hours as a part-time caterer, but now my hours vary, there are no set days or times and it's very go-with-the-flowy. For instance, I worked 47 of the past 72 hours - but I loved every second. I promise I'm finding my groove, though, and I have TONS to share with you all, so consider Miss Palm Tree back in action. :)

Moving right along: I worked my first wedding in my new position this past weekend and I caught myself getting choked up at really random times. One was when the bride and groom were cutting their cake. Honestly, Hive, as I sort of insinuated previously I've never given much thought to cutting the cake. It's so low on my list of things I care about - a few pictures, a smear of icing, and then we're done. But as I watched them (admittedly, somewhat hawkily, because we had to swoop in to retrieve the cake for cutting and serving), I got teary! I told my co-worker, "I'm having a moment and I can't believe it." It was just such a symbolic moment between the two of them. All night, they had been dealing with others and posing for pictures and being pulled in different directions, but this moment was just about the two of them. It was beautiful and so sweet. . .see what I did there? ;)

Later in the evening, I was walking through the hall to check on everything and I caught a glimpse of the bride and groom dancing. They weren't the only ones on the dance floor and (cliche warning) the song wasn't even a slow one, but they were swaying in each other's arms and just looking at each other. True Confessions: tears actually leaked out of my eyes at this one. It was another intimate moment shared by the two of them. I obviously don't know what was going on in their heads, but to me - an outsider - it truly seemed as they were the only two people in the world.

I'm always a super sap and probably would have gotten emotional over these moments at another point in my life (and probably will in the future), but I really feel as though the meaning of these moments was heightened for me. I know that might seem like a Captain Obvious statement, but I feel as though I was meant to see them. I've been so caught up in tracking down RSVP's (infuriating) and thinking about meetings with our vendors and getting my dress altered and making sure I'm on top of my to-do list that I've been busy thinking about everyone and everything else. I would honestly think about the wedding and think of all of the fun with our friends and family, the drinks and the laughter and the awesome pictures from our photo booth, but admittedly, I didn't often think of Us or Our Moments. 

Mrs. Unicycle's post about her strategy to never separate from her new husband inspired me and put the same thought in the back of my head, but I dismissed it thinking "of course there will be some times when we'll HAVE to separate." When I went for my hair and makeup trial (post coming, I promise!), my hair and makeup artist told me a story: on her wedding day, in the middle of the reception, her husband came and grabbed her hand and said "come on, we're going to eat our cake." She protested, insisting she didn't want any cake and wanted to dance but he insisted. "Everyone else got a piece, so we're going to take a minute and eat a damn piece of cake!" She said she was so grateful to him for that moment because otherwise, she doesn't know if she'd have spent time with him that evening.

All of these combined have resulted in a new vision for the Palm Tree wedding: although I still think that we'll end up separated at some points, I am going to make it an active goal to spend time with him and to take a moment with Mr. Palm Tree and just breathe it all in and realize that THIS is OUR wedding. Everyone says that the day goes by so quickly and I don't doubt it, so I intend to make sure I grab my new husband and step back to observe. Thankfully, our room's balcony will make for a perfect reflection spot. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment