Our Countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Wedding Shoes: Part One

One of the things I'm most excited about are The Wedding Shoes. This was actually a really easy decision for me. It was something I had tossed around in my head for a long time and after a few encouraging discussions with Bridesmaid Y, I went for it. 

Let me start by clarifying: there was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I would be wearing anything close to heels for my wedding. Period. Number one: I'm tall. I'm 5'9". Mr. Palm Tree, on the other hand, is like 5'11" ("and three quarters!" he would add). Number two: I am clumsy. As in, I can barely walk barefoot without tripping, falling, stumbling, etc. Number three: I have a bunch of ankle/foot/back issues, most of which stem from a combination of my completely flat feet and my weak ankles that required me to wear high tops until I was 10 (no joke, hive, no joke). Number four: They. Are. Not. Comfortable. Period. All of the above combined meant that I was very clearly going to be rockin' flats from the get-go. 

I wasn't upset about this fact. I've been joking about it for years. "Well, I'll be in ballet slippers anyway," was my standard comment. I would also follow it up with, "No one's going to see my shoes anyway, who cares?" 
Uh, apparently everyone. Turns out, Wedding Shoes are a big freakin' thing. Wedding Shoes are deserving of a dedicated blog post. Wedding Shoes inspire polls and inspiration collages. Wedding Shoes get their own picture (or set of pictures) on the big day. Even my own photographers had a few Wedding Shoe shots in their sample portfolio online:

photo via Limelight-Images | My photographers rock - taking something that goes on your stinky feet and making it look awesome and interesting.

photo via Limelight-Images | The 'I Do' is a different touch, BUT DO YOU SEE THOSE HEELS?!


Okay, so shoes are a big deal to people. While I've NEVER been a Carrie Bradshaw-esque shoe girl, I could understand it. Personally, I own more flip flops than I do anything else and it wasn't until my 'big girl job' that I actively purchased 'real' shoes - even still, I own maybe ten pairs of different shoes and a pair of boots. But now, I was on a mission. While most girls searched for shoes like these to rock on the big day:

image via Blingy-Bride 

image via Kate Spade | Kate Spade's 'Charm'. . .for $325. . .
I did not even glance at them. First of all, I would like to exit my wedding sans neck brace and/or heating pad on my busted back. Seriously, one time I wore a pair of bootie heels to a bar with friends and thought since they laced, I could just tie them very tightly and I'd be alright. Uh, the next day I could not move and/or breathe. I seriously threw out my back. Secondly, $325 for shoes named after a stripper? I'll pass. 

So the shoe hunt continued. . . ;)

6 comments:

  1. I got so excited that this was going to be THE shoe blog! You tease... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks for giving me a shout out!

    For some reason I only feel comfortable in heels...sneaks actually irritate my feet. But, I'm weird like that. You will find your shoes soon!

    PLUS you could always "bling" out a pair of flats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rereading this and thinking about my own wedding shoes now, seeing the above pics makes me want to faint. I definitely want some phenomenal heels, and I may or may not want to DIY some "I DO" underneath like the one pic above! I only won't do that if: a) I run out of time, or b) I get something that I plan to wear again, which would be kind of weird... change it to "I DID"???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody will see the underneath of the shoes anyway - you could rock out the 'I Do!' and no one will know. If I had $300+ to spend on shoes (which I wouldn't, even if I did) and could even remotely walk in a pair of heels, I would be drooling for those Kate Spades.

      Delete
    2. I know, but let's be honest, I don't intend to spend big money, even on Kate Spade wedding shoes! And you know me, I wouldn't wear them with the "I Do!" after I did... people might get offended. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love the 'I Do' shoes! But if you even pretended to wear those, I think you would have them off before even walking IN (Probably off in the Trolley, actually haha). "I wore high tops till I was 10, no joke"!

    ReplyDelete